Saturday 21 August 2010

Pulling power

I think I have already commented on how much closer I expect gates to be at the Valley, the New Den and Selhurst Park this season. Both Palace and Millwall will see increases this season; Millwall because they have been promoted and Palace because they have survived Administration and are under new ownership.

Millwall may have only had a 13,292 gate in their first game but that represents a reasonable increase and they can expect to build on that, especially if they continue their impressive start.

Palace meanwhile, pulled in a 17,488 fans for their first home fixture and the arrival of Edgar Davids yesterday should see them match or better that today when they host Ipswich. Davids may be past his best but he will put a couple of thousand on the gate which would probably cover his pay-per-play wages. I can't see him being there beyond this season but it may be a shrewd piece of business in the short-term.

Our own 16,236 starting home gate was decent enough in the circumstances but I think we might just fall shy of that today as we will struggle to attract 1,000 additional fans to make up the drop in visiting numbers. Oldham's turnout is likely to be less than 500.

1 comment:

  1. I think I read somewhere that Airman Brown had said that Oldham had sole 8 tickets by last Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....