Saturday 22 August 2009

New striker in the week?

That's the prospect following the sale of Andy Gray to Barnsley late yesterday. I won't dwell on Gray's transfer (unlike the club) as I think it's all been said about him before, suffice to say his goals cost us £100,000 a pop on the basis of £1.5m laid out (he was never in any danger of triggering add on clauses) and c £600,000 recouped from the Tykes.

The club might prefer to up the contract offer to retain Jon Fortune instead of acquiring a striker, unless we could do both with the money available. That might be feasible on the basis that there's a glut of players out of contract. Strengthening of the side at a time when we might hope to be top of the league would be a major boost for all Addick fans.

It also begs the question once again, if the longest rumoured takeover in footballing history might be upon us. Some of the larger footballing sites are already suggesting the "takeover-imposed transfer embargo has been lifted." I am obviously seeing this as a potential positive. No doubt we should also fear that the current Board have decided that they can wait no longer and need to act in order to continue to manage their financial exposure. If that's the case, then the transfer fee will likely be retained to help pay the bills and keep the club from the dreaded Administration. Time will tell.

In the meantime, we need to get our football heads on and get down to the Valley to urge the boys on for another three points to maintain our 100% start.

Red Ar-my, Red Ar-my!

1 comment:

  1. I'm beyond wondering about the "will it, won't it" takeover. But, it's passing strange that the day Charlton has movement on their striker, I have movement on my sale....(we sign hopefully this week!) Maybe they're trying to mirror one another.

    I did think of joining the throng today, but...one, I have the start of a chill, and two...my new windscreen leaked, and it dripped into the electronics...I now have an all flashing, all bleeping car!

    Have fun, and good luck...enjoy the match. I'll be glued to CATV with all the ex-pats.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....