Monday 10 August 2009

Historic Valley Photo for sale


Anyone who drank in the now shut Valley Pub in Elliscombe Road can't fail to have noticed the impressive pieces of Charlton Athletic memorabilia. The pub sign was a classic to start with although it's rotting away out-of-reach (for now). The toilets also had glass portholes sporting engraved footballs and then there was that blown-up photograph taken in a bulging Valley as a Charlton player side-steps the visiting goalkeeper and looks about to score. You know, the one above.

The picture hung in an appropriate frame on the right-hand side wall in the main bar and measured c 6 x 4. That's feet, not inches. I always looked admiringly and sub-conciously checked the fixtures that secured it to the wall. It's a grainy image close-up but it's a striking picture from ten feet and not in bad condition for it's age although I have had to trim six inches off the bottom as it had been damaged since being out of it's frame (already excluded from this shot). My photograph of the picture shown here was taken from ten feet with the picture lying on the decking in my garden, hence the slight brown edging at the top and right of the shot! The picture is actually about four inches larger at the left-hand side which puts the action more in perspective, but I couldn't quite get the whole shot in frame despite attempts at cropping it. I have tried, but I still can't spot anyone in the crowd without a flat cap or a trilby.

Anyway, I have been asked to see what interest there might be as the current owner is keen to sell and would like to think that the picture might be bought by someone who could put it back on public display, although will sell for an appropriate price irrespective. Any offers gratefully received (if you drop me an email address, I will respond without notifying the world via the comments box at the bottom of this message).

3 comments:

  1. Dave
    Yes, I am interested
    I'm probably a bit dim , but how do I email you to discuss ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon - when you leave a comment I do not get to see your email address. I need you to give me it in the text of your comment. I won't publish you email address but can then contact you offline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - when you leave a comment I do not get to see your email address. I need you to give me it in the text of your comment. I won't publish you email address but can then contact you offline.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....