Sunday 22 August 2021

Charlton Athletic 0 v Wigan Athletic 2

I am pleased to say that I managed to miss yesterday's very predictable home defeat. I am on holiday in Scotland and met up with friends so even avoided watching a stream. The odd glance at my phone and updates from the group told me that Craig Macgillivray had kept us in it during the first half and that we were again struggling to create anything. I switched my phone off after seeing that they had scored in the 89th minute, so it wasn't until this morning I saw we had also managed to further worsen our goal difference. 

Thomas Sandgaard is beginning to feel the heat as his recruitment plan goes up in smoke. The split between fans who were calling for patience and those who were calling out under-recruitment appears to be disappearing with every performance. The post-match threads were almost universally critical of the performance and it is looking glaringly obvious that we have wasted the whole pre-season. 

I really won't write-off any player after only four games together (Omar Bogle was an exception) and, hopefully, Macgillivray's performance yesterday supports that argument. However, the stats speak for themselves and we are creating next to nothing going forward. Two goals from a penalty and a free-kick are all we have to show from seven-and-a-half hours of football. Four successive defeats (inc Wimbledon in the League Cup) since the opening day draw mean that confidence is low across the team and we are in real danger now of seeing costly mistakes being made as the team plays under self-induced pressure.

Thomas Sandgaard and Nigel Adkins aren't helping themselves either. Trying to put a positive spin on everything is wearing thin, especially when supporters are seeing it with their own eyes. Sandgaard said that it had been a "very even game" and fans were quick to disagree and remind him that Macgillivray had made three great first-half saves and that Wigan had hit the bar before scoring two late goals. Adkins meanwhile told us "we tried to be positive in our thought process" by throwing Blackett-Taylor on and that "I thought we were knocking on the door." Not sure those present would agree. 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' rung out as did loud booing at the end. 

Sandgaard needs to finalise our recruitment this week and, dare I say it, we look like we are running out of time once again. I think we need at least four decent signings and if we don't get them, this could be our worst season in living memory. Adkins' final comments also sound critical of our recruitment policy. He said "we all know we need to bring players in - that's been the case all the way through the summer." He goes on to say "we've got to utilise this time as best as possible to bring some more players in." That doesn't sound convincing or particularly hopeful. 

"Blowing the league out of the water" could look hugely ironic if we continue on our present trajectory. A failure to give Adkins a competitive squad will also amplify the voices questioning Sandgaard's willingness to invest in the squad and consequently, his ambition. It would also be hugely damaging for next season when I think season ticket sales risk being far lower than this year, as fans wait to see what players they are likely to be watching before committing to every game. 

Personally-speaking, I wasn't moved to renew early. Those early-bird benefits didn't sell it to me (the cynical implementation has also back-fired) and there was no commitment to any significant saving by buying early. Our Summer business has been conservative and minimal, although we took a few obvious steps eg Famewo and Stockley, and the focus on two year terms for permanent deals was good to see. I have been awaiting better than we have so far brought in and I am so underwhelmed thus far that I am doubting we will be vastly more competitive next month. I am currently away and will miss the Crewe game too but enthusiasm has plummeted. 


1 comment:

  1. Due to being at a local music festival and having a malfunction with our Internet (no 5g around here), I didn't know the score until I got home late Saturday night and my daughter and her boyfriend....a Charlton supporter....(she thoroughly understood the dating rules) were at our house and he told me all the grim details.

    I still believe that Adkins was a good appointment. Getting him in early after LB's departure I thought was a very astute move, giving him time to evaluate his squad and identifying the type of player(s) he wanted to recruit, sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case. We have to admit that recruitment has been shambolic and I simply can't accept that Gallen has suddenly become so inept at identifying the players required.

    We hear that Roddy has taken over the Gallen role and that Gallen is now just overseeing the players T's & C's.

    TS needs to get a handle on this and shake things up quickly, because at present, his early bluster is turning into bluff.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....