Monday 17 April 2017

Charlton Athletic 3 v Gillingham 0

Gillingham's dire history at the Valley continued this afternoon as they maintained their record of never having managed a victory in 15 attempts. In fact, they have only beaten us on four occasions in thirty league attempts.

The BBC stats suggest the match was close with the Gills having 53% possession and managing 18 shots to our 14. However, I understand they were poor in spite of the stats and that we were good value for our win which effectively secures League One football next season. I couldn't face it after Friday and felt sure we wouldn't show up so I am pleased we haven't checked out early this season.

Pearce headed home after 20 minutes to add to the recent spate of goals from centre-halves and the Gills were fished after half-an-hour when Ricky Holmes whipped in yet another free-kick. The Gills were trying but their final ball and finishing let them down badly. After the break it took nine minutes to wrap the match up when Magennis finished a Charlton counter-attack. Chelsea loaned Dasilva had another impressive game and has made himself a real contender after a slow start. He's very unlikely to be here again next season, of course, along with half the others.

I will miss the last two games this season, so another miserable season has ended for me prematurely. My interest now is purely focused on new ownership or, failing that,  continuing the fight to get an ambitious owner and a credible Chief Executive who knows what they are doing. It would also be good to see a number of the "just following orders" brigade finally dislodged when the time comes. We will also have to stomach those who will be wise after the event but I guess it was ever thus.

Praying we get some news now that our league status has been secured....

2 comments:

  1. Dave, it has been a most wretched season. That we should be " celebrating " a win over the Gills sums it all up. Back in October I felt about the lowest I have ever felt going to a game. The atmosphere was non-existent as was the crowd and I felt almost nothing. Sad times. New owners can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys report pretty much reflected your own.
    I do hope we are safe. With Pompey being promoted, I have a local away game to look forward to next season.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....