Friday 8 January 2010

Twitter confession

As an avid Blogger, I have been carrying a slight feeling of guilt for a number of months about Twitter. Everyone else appears to have jumped on it and to be hooked. Snippets of valuable information are coming from Twitter and I was left wondering what I might be missing out on. Matchdays, in particular, seem to spark Twitter users (Twitterers?) into life, although so far this season I have either been at the match or listening to it, so I was left wondering why I needed additional comments on what I had just seen or heard.

I am not an early adopter of new technology although I love gadgets and work "in IT." It took me two years to discover that Blogger was a fairly intuitive, help-yourself service and not something that you needed programming skills to operate. However, the snowball that is twitter has been building so I actually bothered to have a proper look and jump in a couple of weeks ago. I thought I would start slowly by following only a couple of things, CAFC Official being top of the list.

For the first few days, it all went very well and I found I was effectively getting the components of the club's daily Bulletin email as they happened, rather than summarised at the end of the afternoon. More importantly, I got the message that there would be a second pitch inspection at Walsall at Midday and that the referee was confident the game would go ahead. I was impressed.

Then on Saturday, after the match was called off, I got a number of annoying Tweets telling me that the club's Twitterer, had forgotten his coat etc. Not quite so relevant. The volume of Twitter traffic from Charlton appears to be on the increase and yesterday I received a record (for me) of 29 Tweets yesterday on CAFC Official. A handful were contributions from fans but the majority from the club. There were one or two pictures of the snow covered pitch and covers; another told me the game was off and then there were a whole load that added nothing of any value - a close-up a Robin, news that his seven-a-side game that evening had been postponed, a calculation of the volume of snow on the pitch etc.

I appreciate that Tweets are limited to 140 characters and as such, several Tweets are often needed to relay a piece of information fully, but yesterday was not a good day for me and Twitter and I am left wondering whether or not to continue? Perhaps it was a one-off or maybe I should look for other Twitterers whose output and content more closely resembles what I am looking for?

I then wondered about how this works and who pays for it. I use my mobile for Twitter on the basis that I can get pretty much all the information I need if I am on-line. So I know that I will pay SMS charges for those Tweets I receive. No big problem at the moment as I have hundreds of spare text messages in my monthly deal. However, I am guessing that Twitter sites that generate large volumes of SMS messages - like CAFC Official - are valuable to the mobile companies. As such, they probably offer incentives to encourage traffic. If this is the case, then I can see an explosion in the volume of non-information that is pumped out and the value of Twitter will be lost, for me at least.

Am I right or am I missing something?


10 comments:

  1. I went through the same logic – there is way too much non-information. If you are following someone you know (including a celebrity that you like) then their every movement is potentially interesting. Knowing what CAFC employees do all day long is just not high enough on my list of interests. I also felt too subconscious to say what I was doing as my day to day life is way too dull to share it with others.

    I gave it a go for a few weeks last year, but came to the same conclusion as you did. As much as I like to be at the cutting edge of IT and trends, it just didn’t work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Dave, I've not really bought into Twitter. In fact I only look at one...Ross Noble's. Well worth a look for a bit of nonsense and a giggle !

    ReplyDelete
  3. KHA - One of the updates today was to tell us that the 1000th Follower had signed-on. I think they decided that they could turn this into two tweets by putting out the first one saying it was the 100th and then a second to correct it! I am at breaking point...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitter is something I haven't joined. I have no mobile access at home, and would go crazy if they suddenly tried to download at the same time! And as I'm not online all day...well not often, then I'm not sure it'd work for me.
    If you twitter, then I think you're called a Tweeterer, it raised some queries recently on Radio 5, and that was the final agreed term.
    I hope you get to enjoy it, if you finally can sort the good from the chaf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil - I think my next step may be a bit of experimentation - turning stuff on and off, so I will try Ross Noble on your recommendation! I hope he doesn't lose anything with the loss of accent or intonation in translation....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also tried it, and was underwhelmed by the banality of the tweets that were coming through, and decided it wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it. It took a while and you certainly need to be aggresive and experiemental with who you follow and allowed to be followed by because there is plenty of "I am just going to put the kettle on" crap and to be honest there are weeks when I don't tweet personally at all because like KHA I haven't done bugger all but for me (and remembering I am on a rock in the Atlantic) for articles, breaking news, features, CAFC gossip and the occasional giggle I find it very useful.

    I don't however have any clue about the associated software - Tweeterific, Tweetdeck, Tweetsap or whatever and I have no idea how to post photos and can't be arsed to find out.

    My favourites to follow are:

    @gilescoren
    @MarkBrighty
    @lonelyplanet
    @henrywinter
    @BigDL
    @BumbleCricket
    @FourFourTwo
    @charlieconnelly
    @Mrsstephenfry

    As for cost, doesn't it just form part of your mobile internet cost?

    CA

    ReplyDelete
  8. CA - you may be right re costs. I assumed SMS charges but if it's counted in my "unlimited" Internet access I will have less to complain about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. instead of being at breaking point with the CAFC one, just unfollow but then click to follow when a game is on. I like following Mark Bright Chicago... probably because he has responded to me twice! swoon. But i dont really tweet myself, just follow and read other peoples thoughts. I do follow Bent but his tweets are not really that interesting, bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. B - I thought about that but it seems like a lot of buggering about. I just wish they would tweet proper news only! We need a spam filter....

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....