Tuesday 1 May 2018

Steel yourselves, it's the Play-Offs!

After an heroic backs-to-the-wall, battling victory over blackburn Rovers, won with our only effort on target which took a huge deflection, we finally found ourselves with our play-off fortunes firmly in our own hands. I will duly admit to haven been proven wrong on this as my firm opinion, prior to Lee Bowyer's arrival was that we had zero chance. Whilst Bowyer has certainly turned things around, our flat and disinterested performances in the defeats to Wimbledon and Scunthorpe suggested that missing out was still an evens money bet.

Not only did we take control of the situation on Saturday but this evening's play-off duel between Scunny and Argyle has gone to the home side which leaves Argyle clutching at straws in their attempt to catch us. They now need to make up three points and overcome a six goal difference to overhaul us. Given what's at stake, I can't see it in a month-of-Sundays, even if they are at woeful Gillingham on the last day.

So, it looks like Saturday will be a day of Addick celebrations. With the EFL reputedly going through the fit-and-proper-person motions, this could a glittering end to the season in many ways. It's long, long overdue and, if I am honest, I don't think our football this season has deserved it but I guess the table doesn't lie and if Millwall can sneak-up in sixth, I don't see why we should apologise to anyone.

Speaking of Plymouth, I also can't help mentioning my good fortune on Saturday as I walked into the Anchor for a post home-season drink with a few old faces. I was following two accumulators on my mobile. One four team selection was winning and the second had three up and one drawing with minutes to go (two sections the same). I cashed out on the first one as three of the sides were only winning by the odd goal and one of them was Charlton who had just seen their own bar struck. The other had Palace (3 or 4 up), QPR (2-1), Bristol Rovers (1-0) and Argyle who were 1-1 with Rotherham. I then saw a goal announced at Home Park but it went to Rotherham so I put my phone in my pocket, entered the pub and bought a round of drinks. When I opened my phone to show a mate what had happened, Argyle were winning 2-1! I assumed there had been a mistake in announcing Rotherham but cashed out nonetheless. Minutes later it was all over and I was £1100 after off. I later noticed the Gills had notched a late, late leveller which would have killed my second bet and the actual sequence of events at Plymouth had been that Rotherham had scored a second goal but it was disallowed and Plymouth tore down to the other end of the field and scored the winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....