Monday 1 January 2018

Charlton Athletic 1 v Gillingham 2

Gillingham rightly haven't won at the Valley in about a hundred years but today they secured an ugly double that sits like a dirty stain on the club's record. It doesn't look out-of-place under Roland Duchatelet's abysmal reign, of course, but what an embarrassment. 

Karl Robinson had a bigger squad of players to choose from today but proved that the real problem we have is his tactical inflexibility brought about by his one-eyedness about playing a formation that simply isn't reliable. Ergo another game where we are piss-poor first-half, fall behind and then slowly improve in the second half having finally brought on a second striker and become a tad more desperate yet eventually lose 1-2. Without an impending takeover, I think Duchatelet would have fired him around now but it looks like he will limp on for awhile. 

Three draws from the last nine games (including the F A Cup capitulation at Wimbledon) is relegation form and those still talking about promotion are deluded. 

I was in bed trying to prevent my flu from returning but I had a good day courtesy of Cash Out. I had a four team acca (Gillingham, Scunthorpe, Shrewsbury and Peterborough) that would have paid £1003 and with three of those results going my way I was desperate for Scunthorpe to take the lead at home to Bury. With several minutes left they did and my cash out jumped from £160 to £650. By the time I actually cashed out it hit £697. A couple of minutes later Doncaster Rovers equalised at Peterborough with the last kick of the game which would have left me potless. Got to love Cash Out! A good start to the New Year even if we were beaten by Gillingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....