Friday 28 November 2014

Night at the Museum

No, not the terrifying corny Ben Stiller movie franchise, but the opening of the Charlton Athletic Museum.

I was heading passed the back of the Covered End this afternoon when I spotted Ben Hayes unloading stuff and he beckoned to the Museum. I had time to get the lift up to the third floor and wander through the exhibits that Ben, Clive and the rest of the team are busy assembling for the Opening this evening when Derek Ufton, Keith Peacock and others who are living history, will cut the ribbon or whatever they are going to do.


I was immediately taken with this pub sign having never seen it before (pretty certain I haven't). I am told it once hung under the Covered End in what was the pre-cursor for what I knew simply as the Covered End Bar and from which this Blog was named. No doubt someone will sally forth remembering it fondly and who can tell us a story or two?

The Museum idea has been kicking around for a long time but it is finally here and I am certain it will go from strength to strength once open. Our fans will be motivated to contribute - it's our history after all.

For my part it was the signal to return the flood-lamp I stole saved 28 years ago. I was also able to hand in a book of older programmes and a couple of 1946 and 1947 F A Cup Final tickets which might be used to illuminate some other artifacts and help tell a small piece of our rich history. Just found a threat on Charlton Life with more pictures and background. 

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/57586/chathmuseum/p8

If those Sky boys know how to build the story ahead of tomorrow's live game, they could do no better than get a few shots in the fledgling Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....