Tuesday 21 January 2014

Oxford United 0 v Charlton Athletic 3

A small, but nevertheless determined band of men made their way up the M40 this afternoon for a tricky looking replay against League One opposition in the F A Cup. There was a sense of togetherness and a determination to put their opponents in their place. I also suspect, there was a sense of indignity about their collective contractual situation with their employers and solidarity with their leader who has recently spoken out on their behalf.

The opening half-hour was pretty dire by all accounts but then Yann Kermogant struck after 35 minutes and within three minutes of that, Danny Green had put us two up and killed the game off in front of 3225 spectators (400 Charlton). Workhorse Simon Church assisting with both strikes.

Charlton took control after that and the third came short of the hour-mark when that man Yann stepped up and flighted yet another free-kick over the wall and into the top slot.  Pritchard came on for Harriott and then Sordell for Kermorgant before Diego Poyet got nine minutes (Stephens) as we closed it out.

This victory will be a morale booster for Chris Powell and hopefully he can maintain the momentum into next Tuesday's six-pointer with Doncaster. It's what he may need to continue doing to keep his job.

It comes on a day when we heard that Michael Smith, permanent loanee since he joined us, has moved to Swindon for a reported £200,000. On a day too when we are being linked with Ishmael Miller and Simeon Jackson. Can't see either of them will get my blood racing but they are "strikers" at least. If it's a choice, I vote for Jackson.

Having just had a chance to look at my dairy over the next couple of months, I realise that I am only going to attend one more Saturday game before April (Burnley on 22nd March), what with my 6 Nations commitments. Weather permitting, I should see the rearranged Barnsley match and Huddersfield night games. This season will be over before I know it. Can't say I am too bothered the way things are - it will almost be a relief to watch Scotland under-performing once more (even if I am unrealistically optimistic again pre-tournament).

3 comments:

  1. Whilst following the scores on Sky Sports News last night, I was struggling to understand why no one was available to comment on the game. They had commentators at both league one and two games.
    Is it a rights issue? Thought you might be ITK.
    Look forward to this weekends preview. Wonder if he will consider resting players, what with Doncaster on Tuesday? It would be a shame if he did. Surely we are due a win against Huddersfield soon. If he rests kermogant, then his hand has been shown.
    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony - I don't think there's any reason why they couldn't comment on an FA Cup tie. My guess is it didn't prioritise for Sky. Let's face it, our own Football League Show thinks we are non-league. No match Saturday as Bournemouth face Liverpool in the 4th round....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, correction Tony. I see we are playing the Terriers on Saturday! I'm not going obviously.....

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....