Sunday 19 August 2012

Birmingham City 1 v Charlton Athletic 1

However you look at it, yesterday's performance and result at St. Andrews was a real confidence-booster for the side and will look increasingly good as we go through the season. It could have been better, of course, had we not conceded in 94th minute, but these things happen and I am a firm believer that you need to win games in the Championship and not just shade your opponents. It sets us up very nicely for the two home games this week and remaining unbeaten after three games against three of the sides expected to finish above us will be a fine start.

I watched Liverpool's humbling at the Hawthorns in the presence of Scouse friends of my host here in Cyprus. It was painful watching for the assembled Reds and I had to try my hardest to remain polite and not howl with laughter. They were lucky it wasn't five in the end. I did get to laugh out loud at QPR's second successive five nil hammering home start to a season. Fingers crossed they can go one better this season and return to where they belong. 

Good too to see Millwall and Palace start with home defeats; Millwall will be too good for the drop but I wouldn't say the same of Palace. First time we have sat above the pair of them for four years and that will represent a modicum of success this season if we finish clear of them and at least another handful of sides. 

Leicester should come looking for points on Tuesday and that could well play into our hands as we get chances to counter. It should also be a big night for a number of our players and our manager who have recent connections with the Foxes. 

In the meantime, I am enjoying my annual break in Cyprus and am already mahogany brown with a week to go. I am back at work tomorrow morning at 6.30am cleaning pools in big, mostly empty villas - I love it!

1 comment:

  1. I was amused by the sign 'This is Loftus Road. We are QPR'. I doubt whether it intimidates or impresses anyone. Anfield it is not. Indeed, it is possibly the only ground one could easily model by using shoe boxes turned on their side.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....