Monday 28 May 2012

Wish I'd gone..

To Twickenham yesterday. I slunk in from the heat of my Charlton garden yesterday and nestled down in front of the England v Barbarians match. The Barbarians only play friendlies and there is a risk that they look like training games (Craig Levein knows what I mean). When they are played in temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit, you might expect them to be less than fully committed. 


No problem yesterday, as an impressive England side racked up their biggest ever winning score against the invitational Ba-Ba's (57-26). Chris Ashton lead the way with three tries but two new England players caught my eye in Christian Wade and Jonathan Joseph. Both scored (Joseph twice) and I was reminded of Jason Robinson and Jeremy Guscott, players who were simply too good for the Scottish back-line. I can see myself typing a reminder of yesterday in the Spring.


The Ba-Ba's played their part with Iain Balshaw and Mike Tindall relishing the chance to remind their old England side what they were missing. Tindall, in particular, looked like a man snubbed after the shenanigans at the World Cup. The try he scored was impressive as he smashed through two white shirts to reach forward and slam the ball down. He couldn't hide his glee and was still smiling to himself ten minutes later.


England might be a good early bet for the Grand Slam next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....