Thursday 3 November 2011

I've finally done it

It's been weighing on my mind for the last year. Not the biggest decision of my life, granted, but an important one nonetheless. Do I replace my ageing PC or make the move to the Dark Side and get a Mac?


My old Sony Vaio Mediacentre was coming up for six years old and the hard drive was full. Shuttling files back and forward on an external drive is no way to live. So, I've bought an Apple Mac and I am now filled with the self-righteous smugness of a convert. Yes Sirree! I can smile knowingly at PC users from now on when I hear their tales of woe, safe in the knowledge that I have moved onwards and upwards in the world. Yes, it's very like being in the Masons. I would imagine.


It's taken me several long evenings but I now have all my data transferred and have a decent grasp of the basics. It's also given me the impetus to digitise my music CD's collection and get shot of 500 CD's and my old faithful B & O.


I-Cloud had a big part to do with it and it has been fantastic to be able to link my main home computer with other devices and no longer having to synch in order to update and share information. No doubt there will be some drawbacks but none so far and I have been very impressed that things have worked as expected. Doing anything new on a PC was invariably fraught with difficulties and when things did go wrong, it was often hard to find out why. There, smug enough?



3 comments:

  1. I made the leap a few years ago and now I've gone back to PC. Windows 7 is vastly superior to anything that Apple has to offer and you can get twice the spec in a PC for half the price. Plus Apple still has all the compatibility issues that it’s always had. Do yourself a favour , send the Apple back and head now to the PC World on Woolwich Road.
    Buying a Mac is a bit like when we bought Jimmy F-H. It’s got a big name, it’s expensive and people rave about its past glories but really you could have spent less money on something superior that gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A move to Wordpress now and you'll be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CA - is it really better? I feel a loyalty to Blogger. It's been easy and I still can't believe it's completely free.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....