Sunday 14 August 2011

Thoughts on Sunday

I have downloaded the Sunday times and will venture out for a real paper shortly. In the meantime, Mrs Peeps is preparing the Sunday dinner and Charlton are still top of the league. Feels good doesn't it?


I have been reflecting on yesterday's showing and wondering where the main differences are between this side and last season's. The most obvious is in midfield where we have been pressing rather than holding and where there has been notably more width than we managed in the second-half of last year's campaign. Johnnie Jackson's return obviously accounts for half of that and we are getting the annual surge from Scott Wagstaff as the season gets underway. Wagstaff needs to remain focused but we have the luxury of a more than competent replacement in Danny Green and he may play his way into the side in any event. With Alonso and Bover-Izquierdo waiing in the wings, midfield looks to be well served. Stephens and Hollands played ok yesterday but didn't dominate the game as they did at the Valley against Bournemouth.


Upfront, I still think we are just short of being first rate. BWP is a poacher supreme and whilst he might not actually be better than Shaun (as the song went yesterday), he's got goals in him and time yet to mature into the finished article. Paul Hayes had a decent match yesterday. He thinks about his game and has a good touch but he doesn't have real pace and, as yet, no obvious sign of an aerial threat. 


Jason Euell got on at the end and put himself about a bit but he looks 34 and there was a moment shortly after he came on that told me all I needed to know. A ball was played up to him which dropped goal-side of the marker and he should have bustled on to the ball, sped clear and shot. Instead, he looked for the marker and waited to ride the challenge, I think, in the hope that he could knock him off the ball to give himself two additional seconds he would need to fashion a shot. Having said that, I think he's a decent acquisition as I have said before as long as we are not paying him too much. That leaves Paul Benson who is an average League One striker and probably no better than Hayes or Euell at this stage.


In defence, it was hard to make any strong views based on yesterday. What I did notice was that the centre-halves appear to be operating on a one-touch policy. Last year we had to watch our central defenders on the ball probably more than the midfield. This was largely because of how our midfield was operating (so deep and negatively) but the obvious problem is that the longer the ball is there, the greater the risk that someone will make a mistake. Taylor and especially Morrison look to get rid of the ball at the first opportunity, even if it's putting it out. Perhaps that tactic makes them more effective or covers weaknesses in their game elsewhere but so far it's worked very well. 


I thought the full-backs both had decent games yesterday. Solly and Wiggins are similar in that they are both probably better players than their styles make them appear. Both are combative and are prepared to move into a tackle early which can leave them work to do, but by-and-large they are quick enough to recover and get in a second tackle. 


That only leaves Robbie and I didn't think he did anything wrong yesterday but County didn't really trouble him. 


Colchester are unbeaten and the game on Tuesday should be another good test. I am planning on being there.

2 comments:

  1. My worries (based on one game and on my penchant for worrying generally) are the height of the full backs and their inexperience, so I think Hughes will be invaluable in certain games and at certain times this season.

    Up front after Saturday I thought Hayes would do well to get 10 goals this season, but if we can keep playing him in like BWP did then he might surprise me. Overall I like what I've of Hayes however.

    We need a target man, because as you say Hayes is not one and nor is Benno. A target man that is good for 15 in the John Pearson mould would do me.

    I'm liking the back two but I worry what a mobile direct striker will do them, I've not seen a lot of pace in their closet yet, but I do think Morrison and Taylor are a big upgrade on last season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BWP has now gone 9 real games without scoring - that said we all know from his movement and presence that run must come to an end soon.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....