Tuesday 31 May 2011

John Sullivan makes it three, or is it four?

Fairly predictably, out-of-contract ex-Millwall keeper John Sullivan signed for us today on a two year deal. Sullivan looked solid enough to me as he made a handful of appearances at the end of last season although his signing lends credibility to the rumours that Rob Elliot could be off to bigger and better things.

I think Sullivan is signing number three but he could be four if Nick Pope is confirmed, although he is hardly a first team candidate, especially with Sullivan joining the ranks. If Danny Hollands can be considered an above average League One signing, Sullivan can only be considered average and Pritchard and Pope below average. With my glass half-full, Hollands and Sullivan could soon look like defensive signings for more established departing first-teamers. I hope I am wrong and that the order of their signing is merely coincidental.

I would like to see an experienced centre-half and a left winger or an inspiring striker next up please. We are being linked with Preston's Paul Hayes, but it's not one to get the blood racing, so I hope there's nothing in it. The likes of Jay Bothoyd is also available again but I would rather we gambled on someone for the future than see a player who has already been a Valley disappointment. Maybe beggars can be choosers?

1 comment:

  1. Keep taking the tablets, Dave. With hope you'll see the brighter future.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....