Monday 18 April 2011

We're on track

For our worst finish ever. Having dropped down to 13th, Hartlepool, Sheffield Wednesday, Oldham and Yeovil are all within 3 points of passing us. So much for the strong finish and a host of players playing for new contracts. We may be playing better but there is still insufficient desire or belief across the side and I am concerned that Chris Powell faces an impossible task in changing things sufficiently to avoid even worse next year. The way we are going, four or five new faces may not be enough.


Having beaten the O's the other week in a match which they might have won, had their second goal stood, we seem to have forgotten our current run of results which now amount to 7 points out of the last 45. I am afraid this isn't a blip for me and there is only one common denominator. Like most everyone else, I want to see Chris Powell succeed in this post and my view was that we weren't playing particularly well under Parky despite nicking results. 


Having given up on this season, we are in danger of failing to see what's going on in games and settling for continuing defeats because we have had the crumbs of a reasonable performances against poor opposition or misfiring opponents. If I was running the club, I would be extremely unhappy with this.


Season ticket sales may be giving the Board room for belief that our fans are more satisfied with the position than I believe they are. Saturday's gate, like most this season, would appear to tell a more worrying story. The home areas were pathetically thin and there looked barely 10,000 present. With Huddersfield bring c 1200, we were a good 4,000 home season ticket holders short and that assumes no walk up gate. In other words, huge numbers of season ticket holders would rather be doing something else on a Saturday despite having paid for their seats.


Our remaining fixtures are against opponents we should be expecting to beat. Bristol Rovers and Walsall are aways against sides who look like they are going down. Rochdale may be seventh but surely we should be beating them at the Valley? Same with Hartlepool. I would be setting a target of seven points before we finish and would be asking questions of varying degrees of difficulty depending on how we fare against this. I suspect we will do well to get four points and will cement our lowest league position in 105 years. If Powell stays, he needs to be given the biggest transfer budget since Dowie blew £12m.

4 comments:

  1. Having trusted one manager with dubious credentials with 12M and with the club still suffering from the fall out, I don't think the board will make the same mistake again - even new owners. I'm afraid as much as I like Powell as a person,and a good coach he may well be, I don't believe he is up to mangement yet. Realistically, we will see a few new low budget purchases/loanees close season whilst Powell is given time to show what he can do. It looks like more of the same next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now like you, I love CP and am desparate for him to do well.

    BUT if we don't win again this season do we trust a rookie in the transfer market with big money and do we trust him to build a promotion side?

    Or do we just pay him off, and start again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. CA - I'm not a knee-jerker and was generally supportive of Powell being given a go, but I myself in the pay him off and try again camp. It won't help that the Board gave him a 5 year contract but that's their problem and they will need to pay. They can't afford another season like this or worse and that looks inevitable unless their spending is going to be more ambitious than they have suggested. There should be a regulation that prevents clubs from sacking their manager if their side is in the Top 5!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been against Powell's appointment initially I remained that way even when we won his first 4 games. Strangely as we went on our loosing streak I found myself thinking we should stick with him, but over the last couple of weeks I've returned to my original view.

    Although he may be on a 5 year contract, I suspect there are all sorts of clauses in it. While some may protect him, given his inexperience, I would hope that the club had a few to cover the very scenario we now find ourselves in.

    Unless they have money to burn, of which there are no signs, would the Board feel confident giving there precious funds to a manager who has produced one of the worst run of results in the clubs history. Furthermore, for various reasons a number of the current squad will still be at the club next season & these will be players who have become accustomed to loosing under CP.

    Although I've renewed my season ticket, I haven't bought into this "just wait until next season" spin.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....