Sunday 10 April 2011

India away

I'm off later today to India on a whistle-stop visit. I land in Delhi tomorrow morning at 6.30am and will be in the office for nine when the first people begin to arrive. My plans were to spend the best part of Tuesday there as well before catching a late afternoon flight to Pune (nee Poona), but was saddened to learn last week that it's a regional holiday in Delhi on Tuesday, so there's no point me going into the office. This is an unexpected bonus, and I will take the opportunity for a bit of sightseeing.


I am visiting our largest supplier in Pune on Wednesday and will make the four hour trip by road to Mumbai (nee Bombay) later that day. It's our newest supplier on Thursday morning and then I am free until 2.30am when my flight leaves for London. Another few hours to myself then and maybe a visit to the Gateway of India. 


I have been learning much more about India since I started looking after our suppliers there a year ago. I had a fair view of our common history but my eyes have been opened to the sheer scale and speed of which India is developing. Having always had/been fed overwhelmingly negative images of life in India, I am rapidly re-appraising my opinion. 


The consequences of the British Empire have often been seen very dimly (especially outside the UK) in the light of the political problems we invariably left behind and more recently in terms of a largely negative (British) view of immigration as a consequence (casually ignoring the reasons for the immigration and the undoubted benefits brought with it). 


I really believe that as the market for 'western' multi-nationals shifts increasingly eastwards and India (and China) reap the benefits of booming populations of highly educated and increasingly wealthy nationals, the United Kingdom may well come to be grateful for our history of Empire and Commonwealth with India. The people and family ties are particularly strong and investment (in all it's forms) is only moving in one direction. 


It's going to be a slog, so spare a thought. April is typically one of the two hottest months of the year across India. Temperatures in Delhi touch 40 degrees. Pune is on the Deccan plateau, 1500 feet above sea level, so should be slightly cooler and Mumbai is coastal, although it was stinking hot at midnight when I stopped over on my only previous visit.

5 comments:

  1. Have a great trip, obvious family ties there but have worked with indian companies. Love Delhi, if you can get to Red Fort or Old Delhi (Largest Mosque in Asia - Jamma Masdaq (sp?), Kareems great food.

    Mumbai very crowded.should be incredibly humid at this time of year.

    Love to hear account of your trip, both social and business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kap - I am hoping to get to the Red Fort and am preparing to drip! I can live with that just as long as I don't have "any trouble with the water." Several successful visits so far on that front, so fingers-crossed. It's a bit like Russian Roulette as far as I am concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip Dave and like Kap I'd be really interested in reading about your travels when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geoff in the East11 April 2011 at 21:07

    Bad timing, Dave. You should have ensured you were in Pune for the debut of their new IPL team. Winners, as well, as it turned out!

    Coming back to the mundane - which once was exciting and important - agree with each and every of your player analysis. Does the board have the cash, and can Sir CP persuade players that there is an upward future at The Valley. One really, really hopes so.

    Geoff in the East

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geoff in the East12 April 2011 at 10:34

    Oops! Just discovered Pune playing in Mumbai. Hope they will soon go home, just like CAFC once did.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....