Tuesday 29 March 2011

Rochdale away - hold me back

Charlton play their latest big match in League One this evening when we travel to "fourth division" Rochdale. As if to rub it in, this is the third scheduling of this fixture and a tough one for those new ground -seekers who were maybe looking forward to it when originally planned for a Saturday.


In a strange way, I think it's a good test as to whether we have seen any genuine improvement from the last two draws. It should be an easier game on paper than Southampton or Bournemouth and if we are going to break the winless run, then why not here?


I am inclined to believe we got a point at home to Southampton because of their tactics. If they had pressed forward at 1-0, I think they would have beaten us. If you add to that a super-show from Rob Elliot on Saturday to keep us in with a chance of the late equaliser, then you might not feel so confident about this evening's game. 


Dale are also playing catch-up at home due to the bad weather and have three homes to play which should move them further up the table - something their fans can scarely comprehend. I will tune-in this evening but I haven't high hopes that we will win here and Leyton Orient at the Valley on Saturday looks a better prospect on the back of their 5-1 home walloping by Yeovil.

3 comments:

  1. After the deep depression of eight games yielding a single point. Some fans, having seen us pick up two draws in the last two games, are talking as though all the problems are behind us.
    Tonight is a tough game, my own view is we are unlikely to win. I would gladly take a draw, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daggs - I know where you are coming from re the draw but I think we need the win so much to restore confIdence that we should go all out for a morale boosting win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little more faith after the way we weathered the buffeting from Bournemouth in those last ten minutes on Saturday...but then...we are Charlton supporters...and we all know what that brings.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....