Thursday 13 January 2011

Lord Lambeth

The news-wires are a quiver with the pronouncement that Sir Chris George "ROBIN" Powell is to be promoted. He may have missed the New Year's Honours List, but Chrissy Powell is about to become the new manager of the club where he played his best football and became one of the most surprising players ever to be capped for England at the age of 32.


I think it's only to be expected that there will be many (like me) who see this as another populist decision and one lead more from the heart than the head. Overall however, I think Charlton fans will back Powell's appointment almost unanimously. After the failure of experienced managers like Dowie, Pardew and Parkinson, we haven't really got much to lose. Success is never guaranteed. Powell will be relatively cheap, he knows the club, is a qualified coach and brings significant experience of the game. His man-management skills are the one criteria yet to be tested in the burning crucible of league management. You have to start somewhere right and where better for Powell than at the Valley?


I assume Keith Peacock will get the Sheffield Wednesday game out of the way as I was tweeted about it earlier today. I was pleased to receive this snippet delivered to my mobile but the first Tweet this morning informing me that someone's bus driver was wearing a Charlton hat was less welcome. I will persevere but too many more of those and I'm off again.

4 comments:

  1. Come on Dave. Twitter is the new standing gossiping at the post office. It is where you find out what is going on in the world. Get with the programme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CA - I'm not one to gossip......but I'm giving it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some gossip: Kiely to form part of coaching team that Sir Chris is putting together tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean I can't do both, CA?

    Oh! I also like that gossip!

    I have no doubt that Chrissy's man management is not in doubt, he wouldn't of been the players representative if he couldn't deal with any level of men, and his temperament will not have problems with the cauldron of league management.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....