Monday 3 January 2011

Charlton Athletic 2 v Swindon Town 4

As I type this, the match is still in progress. I left at 1-3 and know they have scored a fourth because I had to shift the TV onto my PC and got another glimpse of the horror show. I am seriously pissed-off with watching Charlton at the Valley this season. We have had nothing like value-for-money and the fact that we are still in the top half of the table is a minor miracle. 


I feared another nothing performance and that's just what we got. Simply not good enough and you, Phil Parkinson, are the man who carries the can. We have been unambitious at home for most of the season and tactically naive. This evening's match was another fine example. No game plan, no attacking midfield and one less-than-average striker up front hoping to get lucky feeding off long balls.


Kyel Reid may have pace to burn but he's simply cancelled out when double-marked. McCormack had another "wandering" game and it's time Lee Martin was sent back to Ipswich Reserves - we have seen enough - show-pony. Waggy did nothing when he came on (from what I saw), although it's a lot to ask from a youngster when your side is losing and being outplayed. 


Semedo worked his socks off but he is naturally defensive and most of his touches are back to the centre-halves who have been the busiest players at the Valley this season. Racon only seems to play well when we are winning and for far too much of this season we haven't been.


I don't know what Parky will say after this - it was the second successive woeful home performance and this in front of the new owners and another mocking Sky audience. I can't be bothered to listen to Parkinson and will look tomorrow although I wouldn't be surprised if he locks himself in the dressing room with his squad and hides away. The new owners can't fail to have been unimpressed or have noticed the mass exodus fully ten minutes before the end. If there is any serious money behind Jimenez and Slater, then we shouldn't have too much longer to wait to see signs of it.


If Preston are seriously interested in Parkinson it could be the soft option for all concerned. I'm not sure I'd want to give him any money as things stand to try and improve what we've got. It's not as if we look like we need one or two pieces for the jigsaw - we need five or six. It looks to me like our bigger priority is someone else at the helm who may be able to organise and motivate our players better. I don't think our squad is good enough for the Championship but it looks like it should be good enough to escape League One but we have under-performed in spite of squeaking results. Our home fans deserve a lot more than we have been given. Again, sorry Phil, you're a nice bloke and all that, but you are not Mr Motivator nor astute enough in my humble opinion to get the job done. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Parky seems a nice guy, and that's probably where the fault lies. Also he is still a remnant of our "Pards" era and quite frankly that reminder needs to go. We need a "Mr Motivator" and some new blood, but who can take on this role? Any worthy suggestions??
    My choice would be Mick McCarthy, who will probably be a free agent soon, though I'm sure this will be shot down by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on Dave.

    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave

    my son and I have changed our minds...

    Pembury addick

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as they commented that the players had been trying a new system three hours before the game...you knew the end was nigh! And that was only the score...

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....