Sunday 22 August 2010

Sunday morning

Horrible grey bastard of a day. We've had a drop of rain overnight in SE7 but nothing to clear the air. Like yesterday, last night was a humid, sticky, airless affair. Still, I'm in a more communicative mood than I was last night when I forced myself to comment on the game.


Seems like everyone appears to have seen pretty much the same game. We didn't play well and struggled against a better passing side in Oldham who were very well organised. I omitted to mention the incident in last few minutes yesterday when Jason Jarrett got himself sent off for a second yellow after a foul on the touchline not far from the Charlton dugout. The foul didn't look too bad from high up in the East but the reaction of the Charlton bench was strong and my immediate thought was that we were trying to get Jarrett sent off. In fairness there was only a minute or so left, but Jarrett clearly felt aggrieved as he hammered the ball at Phil Parkinson after he had been shown the red which lead to a large fracas on the touchline as he went for his bath. Silly boy but I know how he felt.


The 14,842 gate was a little disappointing too. The Latics may only have brought c 300 fans but that would mean that our winning start to the season didn't really attract any more Addicks than the opening day against Bournemouth and possibly a few hundred less. Building that home average is going to take a sustained spell of winning performances and we need to be scoring goals. Interestingly, Palace didn't get the bounce in attendances either in their second home match against Ipswich. There were 15,781 at Selhurst Park (Ipswich would have had a couple of thousand) to see them lose although Edgar Davids was only watching from the stands, so maybe it's too early to judge his impact on attendances. Palace's defeat also blew my coupon as I managed to get the other four results I predicted.


Elsewhere, much fancied Southampton struggled again yesterday and were held at home by the O's and Huddersfield let a two goal lead at Peterborough slip as they crashed 4-2. With Carlisle the unlikely leaders on goal difference from Oldham , us and Sheffield Wednesday, I think our division has some way to go before the table settles down. I don't fancy our chances at Huddersfield next week, even with Semedo and Dailly returning. Their defeat yesterday won't help our chances but we must try and remain positive, so maybe our counter-attacking capabilities will come to the fore and dictate the day.


I'm off to Cyprus tomorrow to spend a week with my old Millwall-loving mate Ray and his wife. Mrs Peeps and the girls are very excited about it. I'm looking forward to a couple of hours a day dog-walking in the Cypriot countryside and slobbing by the pool and beach in between times. Sky Sports will get a bashing and we will watch every live match on TV although that won't mean the Addicks or the Lions.



1 comment:

  1. Dave, the crowd was low as they were all on the M3 and M25 with me.

    It sounds like Junior and I chose the right game to miss, although it must have been better than the view from the queue to get into a service station.

    Reckon your call to go Cypriot is a good one - most of the country has gone on hols in blighty.

    Pembury Addick

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....