Thursday 22 July 2010

I've succumbed

I am a huge fan of the I-Phone. Not in a geeky way but out of admiration for the way it works so intuitively and because it continues to surprise and impress me. I was very keen, therefore, to upgrade to I-Phone 4. The 5-meg camera and multi-tasking would have been worth the £119 alone. There was no way, however, I was going to join a two hour queue to get one and before the queues died down we had news of an antenna design flaw that meant calls might drop out if the bottom-left-hand corner of the phone was touched. That'll be a no from me then.


Yesterday, however, I found myself in Bluewater and was drawn into the O2 shop. They had the new handsets in stock and I had to take a look. They are Apple-impressive but I couldn't bring myself to buy a faulty product, even with the offer of a free elastic band thingy to prevent the antenna disconnecting me.


So, I walked into the Apple shop looking for some consolation and left with the I-Pad. Early days but I couldn't put it down last night. The screen is brilliant and the resolution fantastic. The web is faster than my PC on Wi-Fi. I need to set-up email but so far so good.


I will also be armed for a fortnight's holiday on the Moray Firth which starts this weekend. Let's hope the mobile signal is better than in Norfolk last year. I don't want to miss the breaking news of our goal-getters who will make the coming season so worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. run this past us again?

    You wanted a new phone, but the phone you wanted, though available was a poor product brought to market before it was ready, so you bought an entirely different product made by the same irresponsible corporation?

    How will this encourage Apple to adopt a more responsible approach? Please note it does matter because the data on mobile phones is perfectly adequate for identity theft. Don't have nightmares :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon - they have a relatively minor operating problem with the phone application. Not dissimilar to practically every other mobile manufacturer at some point. The reason it's such big news is because their products have traditionally be so well designed and practically flawless. I don't care much for large Corporations and particularly not American ones, but you have to wait a long time to knock an Apple product, so make the most of it! Dave.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....