Wednesday 2 June 2010

Eagles fight on

The expected news yesterday was that the CPFC2010 consortium look to have done the deal to acquire the club from the Administrators and the freehold to Selhurst Park from Bank of Scotland. As a football fan I think I am supposed to be pleased for them but I have been revelling in schadenfreude for months, so can't quite manage it. Palace may have survived the drop and cleared their debts but they still need to break even and I don't see the consortium having plenty of cash to throw about. This coming season could yet see significant challenges. I will keep myself warm with those thoughts for now.


Back to my post of the other day and our seeming inability to organise attractive friendlies at the Valley. No-one has mentioned it yet, but I was expecting a post about the cost of stewarding and warming pies for sub-10,000 crowds etc. If that's a realistic concern, how do Palace manage it? They have announced the visit of Premier League Champions Chelsea in July.


We made the news ourselves yesterday by banning coloured boots until players reach the first-team squad. All very sensible, although I don't think we have gone nearly far enough. This "reward" of being allowed to indulge yourself with banana yellow or lime green boots should be reserved for players who have actually done something to warrant standing out from the crowd. You know, maybe 50 appearances, a set number of goals or even an international appearance (sniggers)?



1 comment:

  1. I watched yesterday's events unfold via the BBC website and it was of course inevitable that Palarse would surivive. I hope you're right that there is still some way to go.
    As true Charlton fans I think we all want them to suffer a lot more yet. I live in hope that they may yet be forced to ground share although not with us of course.
    As you say how hard is it to organise a home friendly and against decent oppo ? I've always liked the pre-season games at a sun-drenched Valley. If nothing else it's nice to watch a game when the result doesn't matter.
    Let's hope the club may yet surprise us !

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....