Saturday 24 October 2009

Take Courage...

Late on Thursday I was offered what I guess was a late replacement seat "in a box" at Gillingham for a spot of hospitality. I say "a box" because this is the modern euphemism for what might amount to a pre-match drink and meal with a good seat thrown in. I'm not even sure if Gilligham have boxes? "Never look a gift-horse in the mouth" I was always told. Not sure where that originates but I accepted the offer quickly and have peddled my ticket on to another deserving Addick.

I had hospitality at a couple of matches last season and (The Valley and the Emirates) it makes a pleasant change although it never feels as completely comfortable as being in your casual gear (Marco) with your footballing pals, completely free to roam and make what you will of the day.

So I'll be spruced up on my moderate best behaviour. I am guessing Gillingham's attempt at hospitality might be less professional than our own but I shouldn't pre-judge and hope to be pleasantly surprised. There is then of course, the prospect of appearing like a gatecrasher at a party if we score. Cheering loudly in what I suspect will still be a largely "home" environment always attracts unwanted attention, but what's a fan supposed to do?

Come on Charlton, make us feel as unwelcome as Billy Connolly's proverbial fart-in-a-spacesuit!

3 comments:

  1. I'm currently on the train out to Gillingham. Yup- very casual! ( Fred Perry/ Henri Lloyd combination.)
    Enjoy your meal and dry afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having my starters! I hope it doesn't rain (honestly). Enjoy the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, were you one of the four fans that caused such an uproar when we scored?

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....