Wednesday 23 September 2009

Lennie- the book

I have a reminder in my diary for 28th September to look for Lennie Lawrence's autobiography in the shops. No need, it's on sale in the Club Shop now and Lennie will be pumping it at his various clubs in the run up to Christmas.

I bought a copy this afternoon and have worked my way through to page 90 (of 198) which takes us from Lennie's brief start at Plymouth and Lincoln before running through his nine seasons with the Addicks.

Books about people and books by people are (along with history and military) are my preferred reading, so I have been waiting on this one with some anticipation. I should say at this point that sporting autobiographies, especially football ones, are largely disappointing, usually limiting themselves to well-worn chronologies and rehashed tales that have been told better elsewhere.

I am sorry to report, therefore, that this one is no different. Lennie tells us on multiple occasions through the Charlton chapters how much of a roller-coaster it was as Charlton boss and the fact that he packed in as much in his nine years as others managers could experience in a lifetime. Sir Alex also does it in his generous foreward. Trouble is, I learnt next to nothing from his telling. It reads like one of the other books - Battle for the Valley or Richard Reddens' history and frankly, I am frightened to check for comparisons. We get very little insight from Lennie other than the obvious and the book is almost devoid of anecdotes or surprises. The style doesn't help and, if I am honest, it's a bit boring to read even for someone like me who lived through every game of his reign.

I always knew that Lennie's real name was Robin which I thought was actually a bonus for a Charlton manager but that he didn't like it and preferred the monica "Lennie." What is strange is that he confirms his real name as "Robin Michael Lawrence" and then goes on to say, that his christian name used by his family and him on cheques and official papers, is therefore Michael?

The comings and goings of players are dealt with largely matter-of-factly. The best we get is that he fancied this one or that someone had come in for that one. I have heard him say before that Peter Shirtliff was his best ever Charlton signing and he actually puts Peter in his "Top Ten" which puts that statement into perspective. The only other Charlton signing afforded this accolade is Bob Bolder which was a little surprising but I guess he goes on to bigger and better things in the rest of the book? (Middlesborough, Bradford, Grimsby, Luton, Cardiff and Bristol Rovers...). Maybe I'll finish off the book to see who the superstars are.

The only other point of interest for me was how much praise he lavishes on Paul Miller. Miller was 28 when we signed him from Spurs and was deemed to be passed his best when we got him. He was an experienced First Division pro but we only got 52 games out of him before Lennie sold him on for spitting at a Newcastle player. He went from us to Watford and then Bournemouth before his career fizzled out. He had one very memorable match at Chelsea when he lead a defiant team performance in a dirty game and scored our precious equaliser which sent Chelsea into the play-offs to avoid the drop. Strange the way Lennie bigs him up before the sentence "when I sold him after he was sent off for spitting" with no other comment.

I really hope it sells well because Michael deserves it and that you are not too disappointed if it turns up in your Christmas stocking.


7 comments:

  1. Like you, I buy any old crap if it has the charlton name or connection, but from your precis, I think I might swerve this one. When you're finished can I borrow yours? Is it less boring than Paul Morleys Joy Div book?

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete- it's available from today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It surely couldn't be more boring than Curbishley's 'Valley of Dreams'
    A well titled book, it sent me to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daggs - that's a good comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read about a dozen football biographies, most of them autobiographies, and Curbishley’s was the worst read of them all.

    In fact I think Curbishley’s book was probably the most boring thing I’ve ever read – including text books at school and University. Add to that his reluctance to share his true thoughts on any of the controversial subjects and I felt I was being cheated.

    If Lennie’s book is a good comparison with Curbishley’s then I think I’ll give it a miss. Both of them were (and are) great managers. Their achievements both at Charlton and elsewhere are evidence of that, but clearly they should both keep to their day jobs.

    Now Garry Nelson, he could write a good book. Probably not of anywhere as much interest to a non-Charlton fan, but it was the nearest I found for an insight into the life of a professional footballer or manager.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have put it on my Christmas List and will probably get my Mum a copy but am totally not surprised by your review Dave. When asked to write a book Lennie said "only if I don't have to get anyone in trouble" or words to that effect and the fact that his co-writer is the same bloke that sent us to sleep with Curbs book then enough said.

    198 pages seems a poor effort doesn't it? What a waste of a bloody good story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poorly written and not very well proof-read either. Anyone else spot that MARK Hulyer became MIKE Hulyer a few times. Real shame but Lennie will always be a god, come what may!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....