Wednesday 29 July 2009

Charlton Athletic 2 v Ipswich Town 1

A good result in the circumstances and a decent performance according to Blackheath Addicted. We were at full strength (sic) perhaps with the exception of Richardson at right-back. It also meant another 4-5-1 formation and my suspicion is that we will have to get used to this for the rest of the season in the absence of any better strikers than we have currently.

Elliot returned in goal and nearly saved the penalty from which Town pulled one back. He also made a fine late save to hand Charlton the victory. Basey was preferred at the start at left-back and that would be my preference this season as I see him as a stronger and more straightforward option to Youga. Youga did get on in the second half however, and was apparently much better going forward. Llera was paired with latest triallist Christian Dailly in the centre with Solly at right-back. I will assume for now that Dailly won't be a realistic option as even at his age he will want more than Holland and Fortune. I certainly hope so because I am not one of his fans. I have watched him play for Scotland too often and don't want to see an older version playing for Charlton. A West-Ham supporting mate of mine is staying in my house whilst I am away and I left him a ticket for the game. He isn't a Dailly fan either, so will share my concerns.

The midfield was strengthened with Bailey, Semedo, Racon Shelvey and Sam, which was what won us the match. I see this as a flicker of positive news. If these players were risked, perhaps there are no firm plans to sell any of them pre-season? Sam provided the cross for the first-half penalty that Burton converted and a second right-wing cross (Sam again) lead to a knock-back and second Burton goal which presuambly gave the Addicks an unfamiliar feeling. Semedo and Racon received knocks and Semedo was withdrawn. Reminders, if any were needed, that these players have poor injury records of late and the fragility of our first team squad.

Nonetheless, it was a home win and the best of the pre-season coming against higher league opposition who were, presumably, out to put on a performance for new boss Roy Keane.

I didn't get to Carrow Road last night as I was informed by a reader that the match against Palace was actually at Selhurst Park! I hope there weren't too many City fans who read the misprint on the Norwich website and turned up disappointed. City did at least manage an impressive 1-0 win at Palace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....