Tuesday 25 November 2008

Phil Parkinson's Red & White Ar-my!

No, doesn't sound right does it? "Su-per Phil Parkinson?" Nah. "Parkin-son, Parkin-son, Parkin-son?" Nope, I'll leave it to the Covered End to come up with the right one, assuming he gets long enough.

Curiosity has got the better of me and I am going to Loftus Road this evening. It's strange, but for some reason I'd really like to see it work out for Parkinson.  A week ago I'd have got shot of him with Pardew but I liked what he said on Sunday and if he can motivate the players he'd save the club a million or two  that will need to be spent on moving him on and bringing someone else in. After all, we have to face facts and all we are looking for now is someone who can pull us out of the mire and keep us up this season. 

As I said yesterday, I am sure Parky's fate will be decided in the opening 45 minutes at Loftus Road depending on how the side responds. The team he puts out will also be telling. You have to assume that he will start with the usual suspects and that he will look for a positive response from them to support his longer term position. He could, of course, be bold and make one or two changes to signal his intent; Weaver must be close to being dropped and he has Waghorn and Gillespie to consider. 

If he fails tonight (in terms of getting a response from the players) we shouldn't be too harsh on him as it will reflect more on the squad, I believe, than him personally. Having said that, it would be great to get a performance and even a result to avenge their win in similar circumstances at the Valley a year ago. Paul Sousa had a bad start at Watford and I'm not sure all is well in their camp. It could just be the perfect time to play them.

COME ON YOU REDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....