Sunday 22 June 2008

Spain win shootout

One of the poorest matches of Euro 2008 this evening between two of the better footballing sides on their day. The Southern European derby between Spain and Italy ended 0-0 at full-time and 0-0 at extra time. I thought there was half-a-chance it might end 0-0 after penalties as well.

Penalties it was and John Motson was able to tell us that Spain have lost three previous penalty shootouts, all of them on 22nd June. The significance of the date clearly got to them as they put Italy out 4-2 after two saves from Casillas. I'm pleased for Spain because they did at least try to win the game during normal time. The Italians came to contain and see if they could nick something on the break or rely on penalties - oh dear.

I have been watching Luca Toni during this tounament and there is something about his style of play that is very familiar. I have been racking my brains for the comparison but have been unable to get it, until this evening. Was it a Charlton player of the past I wondered? Maybe a long forgotten pro from another era? No, it was much more familiar to me than that. Finally the penny dropped. No pace, not really comfortable on the ball, the turning circle of a tractor and a tall man who uses his height advantage to stoop for headers. Yes, it's me in a nutshell. I have been looking at myself lumbering around in a team that is clearly too good for me all the while trying to look like I belong there. I note Italy weren't relying on big Luca's penalty taking expertise either!

We get a couple of days break from the football before the semi-finals on Wednesday and Thursday. Germany should beat a weakened Turkish side (suspensions) and the Russia v Spain game might be a breeze for the Spaniards who have already beaten the Russians 4-1 in the group stage. At least that game promises a better footballing spectacle than Germany v Turkey. This tournament deserves two good semis and a memorable final but I suspect the chances of that went with Portugal, Croatia and Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....