Monday 12 May 2008

Dave Davies & Darren Keogh

Shocking and sad news of the deaths of two frevent young fans. I heard the news of both this afternoon when I was stopped in the street when out for a run.

Darren's passing comes after battling serious illness for a long time and what must have been a massive strain for his family. He was a regular in the Royal Oak and will be missed by all his friends and known Charlton faces. At least he has some peace now.

The news of Dave Davies' death is a real shock and he will be equally missed. Another Royal Oak regular of the past, he always had some news or a view on something that was going on. He spent a small fortune on the golf machine in competition with landlord Ray a few years back and I will never forget bumping into him on a train back from the City on 9/11, as it was him who told me, excitedly, what had just happened in New York. The last time I saw him was a couple of months ago at Cannon Street and he told me he had moved from Charlton so wouldn't be sharing the train with me. Especially tragic, therefore, to hear he died as a result of an accident getting off the train at Barnehurst.

I'm not at all religous, but if there is anything after life, I hope these troopers have the satisfaction of going together.

1 comment:

  1. Dave - that is very sad news. I hope they have both gone to a better Valley in the sky.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....