Monday 26 May 2008

Charlton Athletic - 1975-80

I was rummaging through the loft this morning looking for some baby bits (not long now), when I came across the box that contains my programmes and memorabilia from my first days following the Addicks. Baby bits quickly forgotten, the memories came flooding back......

I should explain that my Dad was a devout follower of the West London Blues (Charlie Cooke was responsible), so I was hauled off to Stamford Bridge once a fortnight so he could indulge himself. Chelsea then, were my team until the mid-70's when I first began to go to my local club. My parents had divorced by then so I was seeing far less of Chelsea and I was beginning to enjoy football at the Valley better than Stamford Bridge.

Along with 24,000+ others I was at the promotion game from the old Third Division in 1975. Derek Hales scored twice to wrap up a 3-1 win and everyone went home happy. I began to go to games at the Valley more frequently in 75-76 and 76-77, and finally bought my first season ticket in 77-78. Like many others at this time, I used to move around the ground to watch the game dependent on the weather and which way Charlton were kicking. The East Terrace was a great vantage point but the Covered End was warmer, dryer and a much livelier place to watch the game.

You couldn't go a game at that time without hearing the words "sleeping giants." The East Terrace seemed full of old men who were living in the past and the conversation was invariably the same every week wherever you stood. "Bartram," "Leary," "Sailor Brown" and many others were often spoken of with nostalgia and affection. They could all remember the terrace being so full that children would be passed down to the front over the heads of the packed crowd. Not something that was easy to imagine when the crowd was 10,000 and you couldn't touch the person nearest to you without taking a step or two. Looking back on it, 1957 seemed a lifetime away and I was always struck by how strong the memories of First Division football were. That of course was 20 years ago at the time and I am now recalling events 30 years ago today!

We had the proud boast of the largest ground in England - 66,000 - although in truth the place was a mess; completely inadequate toliet facilities for men and nothing to speak of for women. The mens urinals were open-air and basic concrete boxes. On busy match-days desperate men urinated against the concrete slatted walls which ran around the perimeter of the ground. Facilities for food and drink were not much better. Most people brought there own drinks and sandwiches if anything. Peanut sellers roamed the East Terrace providing the most basic of Percy Dalton snacks. The bar at the back of the Covered End was at least under the cover of the stand but it was pretty basic. Crates of bottle beer were wheeled around on match-days and the choices were limited; pale ale, light ale or brown ale. Lager was still strictly for women and I don't recall ever seeing any in the Covered End bar.

The club was still family owned by the Jewish Gliksten family and an anti-semetic under-current was never far from the surface. The hard-core Valley faithful blamed the Glikstens for profiteering over the years and massive lack of investment. It was hard to ignore the facts of this argument and any poor home showing or bad spell of results would result in an impromptu demonstration behind the West Stand of "Gliksten Out!"

Policing was a basic affair. My soon-to-be step-father was based at Westcombe Park nick and attended most matches on duty. The numbers of officers at any game was based on a view of the crowd per thousand and police numbers were paltry compared to those deployed in the last 10-20 years. Very often there would be six of them to manage the Covered End and these in the days of "taking" when visting supporters would try and occupy the home end en masse if they had the numbers and thought they could do so without too much serious opposition. He would tell me that they would get between rival "boot-boys" who were closing in for a showdown and then decide who they would whack when the fighting started. They couldn't afford to arrest anyone because it would have taken a couple of them out and they needed all the hands they could get to try and restore order. The visit of Cardiff City for the opener in 75-76 was the first time I saw this and I watched my step-father fighting with a handful of colleagues to contain the Welsh horde. I still dislike Cardiff to this day!

Football Clubs didn't see themselves as businesses in those days. "Marketing" and "merchandising" were still American words which had not made the mainstream and anyone uttering them was to be instantly distrusted. The Supporters Club hut (it was a wooden shed c 15 x 12 feet) sold boxes of old programmes, one enamel lapel badge (a white shield with a red circle and sword) and a selection of red and white bar or silk scarves. The wearing of more than one scarve marked you out as a fanatic and the sight of boot-boys with scarves around the neck, hanging from the wrists and belt were common-place. Doctor Martens were almost compulsory for the under 25's and the Donkey Jacket was the coat of choice. How hard were we?
Our support was obviously much smaller at the time and we had just come through 20 years of mediocrity. The promotion season from Division 3 apart, the rest of the 70's were uninspiring and my first few seasons prepared me well for any future disappointments (this season included). The numbers travelling to away games was also proportionately much smaller and you quickly got to know all of the regulars by face. I couldn't afford train travel at the time, so it was the coach for me. The club ran Valiant Travel or you could go with Lewis Coaches. Valiant Travel was run by Bill Treadgold and there were lots of rules and regulations to deter young herberts like me. Lewis's had far fewer rules and were often a bit cheaper. For the most part there would only be one coach from each or maybe two from Valiant Travel and one from Lewis's. Lewis's number one coach was driven by "Eddie, " a middle-aged lifetime coach-driver (his son is a regular today) and the passenger list hardly varied. Betty Hutchins and Joyce were always there. They helped collect fares, ensured everyone was back on board and sold club tickets etc. Sandra Chamberlain was also a regular as was John Rock. Betty still attends games as does her Daughter and I was delighted to bump into Sandra earlier this season on her way in. There was also always an elderley lady and her equally elderly son who seemed to be at every game I went to until the mid-eighties - "mun n son" as we used to refer to them.

Once you arrived at an away ground the other familiar faces soon appeared. Kevin and Tony Hopkins went everywhere as did Steve Hopkins (no relation). "Bulldog" was always there as was Donald Moore (carrier bag of programmes always in hand) and "Spanker" who we were always assured was Donald's brother. Spanker was always ready for a fight whereas Donald would be in the home club shop looking for missing Charlton programmes - they looked nothing like brothers either! The Martin's from Welling were stalwarts (still are I believe) but they travelled by car for the most part and would always overtake the coach at speed shortly after we had left town. There were many others I came to know in the early 80's who were probably attending these games too but I don't remember them readily from that time.
On the pitch we were pretty good at home but dreadful away from the Valley. We could expect two wins away from home and one of these would normally be a London derby. We were often beaten 4 or 5-0 away, and the 7-1 drubbing at Luton, 6-1 reverse at Preston and 5-1 at Blackpool (yes I know) live long in my memory. When we got going at home we could be unstoppable and the 4-0 win over Chelsea and the 4-1 thumping of Spurs were brilliant. I remember the 6-2 demolition of Southampton on a Friday night and the roller-coaster 4-3 win over high-flying Brighton, also a night-game. Night-games had a special atmosphere under the glow of the lights in the Covered End and it seems as if we always left the ground happy.
Maybe when the next Bank Holiday is rained-off, I'll get the boxes from the 80's out of the loft!

6 comments:

  1. God, that brings it back! I can just about remember being one of those kids who got hoisted up and passed down to the front of the old East Terrace back in the mid 1950's. Made you one of the last out of the ground at the end of course, as you had to wait for your dad to push against the crowd to come and find you. Thanks for the memory. Mal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic piece Dave, a great trip down memory lane. I remember all of those games.

    My first season was 75-76, finally convinced my Dad to take me to see the team he had supported since the late 50's but had stopped going.

    I started to go regularly to away games in the mid-80's and those bloody Lewis coaches used to break down about 10 times a season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be about the same age. The donkey jacket comment brought back some memories as did the 4 - 0 v CFC and 4=1 v Spurs. The home matches were very good from memory - lots of goals. my favourite was Colin Powell - he just drifted past defenders and put in great crosses.

    The Brighton 4-3 was a brilliant game too. And yes the urinals were awful and every match there was some kind of bundle behind the main stand and attempted bundle on the way up to the station.

    I was also at the Luton 7-1 defeat but left before we scored to make it 7-1. I remember David Campbell - who I went to school with - inexplicably hand ball it early on. It went all down hill after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely write up Dave...brings it all back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blimey Drinking - that brings it back!

    I was there for the Cardiff game and there must have been a couple of thousand of them - and most of them tried to take to Covered End - only to be turned away by some strange mysterious force. Now I know it was just a few old bill!

    I recall that when the Covered End was first seated, the singing element moved to the small terrace to the left of the Covered End - but I suppose that was in the early 80s?

    I used to wear two silk scarves wrapped around the wrist, and a wool one round the neck, DMs and huge lionels, with three button waistband (pre 76). What a retro style guru....

    The regular steward on our coach from Hastings, George, was wearing two silk scarves to the last Coventry game - his wife had thoughtfully washed them some years ago - and all text on them has now vanished. I'm getting mine down from the loft for the first game of the season!

    Pembury Addick

    ReplyDelete
  6. PA - when we got back to the First Division under Lennie and played Man Utd at Old Trafford, there were several old boys from the 70's who reappeared after missing seven or eight years. they were known to everyone but it was amazing to see that they turned out just like they had left off with silk scarves from the wrists and waist. They were just as suprised as we were to see how things had moved on!

    The small terracing between the Covered End and the West Stand holds special memories for me - more about that another day!

    I will be on the lookout for you at the first game. Shouldn't be hard to spot the flowing red silk.

    Cheers


    Dave.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....