Wednesday 30 April 2008

Kit Sponsors Dinner

Last night Mrs Peeps and I attended the Kit Sponsors Dinner at the Valley. In a moment of weakness or perhaps it was headiness with the November run, I can't remember which, I decided to sponsor a player's kit last year. I have often thought about this but never proceeded beyond that point. Anyway, for £500 you get your name in the programme throughout the season and an invitation to a dinner with the player you sponsored, as well as a signed shirt. However you look at it, it's about sponsorship and revenue generation, so you aren't looking to get your money's worth. I picked Therry Racon largely because he's young, new to the club and was one of the few players with no other sponsors.

Prior to the dinner, I was in two minds whether or not to go. I suspected this might be a half-hearted affair as far as the Club are concerned. I am a firm believer in the maxim about not meeting your heroes as they invariably disappoint and, finally, I was fearful of being stuck amongst pompous sponsors or player groupies. If I am honest, I also suspected that Therry Racon might actually be missing on account of him playing for Brighton for most of the year.

Well I am pleased to report that my fears were unfounded and we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. The event was well constructed, well managed and sincere it what they attempted to do. The other sponsors were ordinary fans, many of whom I knew or recognised from over the years. Therry was also there and, like all of the other players, looked quite happy to be taking part. We had the added benefit of Chrissy Powell at our table - "he's my big brother" was how Therry explained it. The meal was fine, we had our pictures taken and have Racon's shirt as a souvenir. If Therry is still with us next season I will sponsor him again - you get a fair return for your money and I would recommend it if you have considered it previously and never taken the plunge.

I also now know where most of the signed memorabilia in circulation comes from. There was a signing frenzy as the meals come to an end, with shirts, balls, autograph books etc appearing from all angles.

1 comment:

  1. Jammy bugger, sitting on the same table as Sir Chris, you were indeed in exalted company. Hope Therry is learning from his 'big brother'.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....