Wednesday 2 January 2008

The day after the day before......

I am still angry about yesterdays' shambles but I have calmed down a good bit and have been thinking about our prospects for next season.

If we fail to go up, then we will probably strengthen the squad before August and the majority of the current crop of players will be 20% better for the experience of a full season together. We will have a clearer view of the Championship and I believe we will get more points next season - let's face it, it's not hard to imagine playing better at home. The only risk of competing another season in the Championship is that we will need to finish above at least two of the sides who come down as well as everyone else. Whoever comes down will probably be stronger than Watford, Sheffield United and ourselves when we fell through the trapdoor.

If we are fortunate enough to get up, we do not look anywhere near good enough to compete and you only have to look at Derby County to realise how miserable next year could be in comparison to a possible promotion season. We really need to go back with a squad of players who look like they might give it a go, a la Reading or Wigan, and not just be Premier League fodder.

Having said that, I'd take it now if offered and face the consequences. We might come down a better side and financially stronger and that would be preferable to the gamble of another season competing in the Championship with the attendant risks of becoming mediocre or worse.

I haven't been able to bring myslef to walk around and get tickets for Saturday yet. My wife's not bothered and the Old man has said he's only going if I do. I can't believe I'm thinking like this - I haven't missed an F A Cup game at the Valley since I started going back in 1977!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....