Friday 16 November 2007

Window Planning

Wyn Grant reports that Charlton might be considering a January transfer window push for Hull's 22 year old midfielder Dean Marney. This sounds like a story with legs bearing in mind Marney is a London-boy and it was Phil Parkinson who signed him for Hull. I haven't seen him play but he is seen as an attacking midfielder and was brought to Hull to help get goals, the key area that I believe we should consider strengthening in January.

For me, I think the priority is another striker, goal-scoring midfielder or a centre-half, in that order. Whilst centre-half has been the bete-noir of the season so far, it looks like Sam Sodje might have settled the back-four. With experienced full-backs expected to recover before Christmas and provide options for the second-half, I believe we should be able to cope with a need to change the centre-back pairing again with what we've got.

The midfield has served us well so far but you have to worry about injury to Reidy. Maybe Marney would provide an option and possible cover?

However, I would be tempted to spend whatever we've got on a striker. Todorov's absence has left us looking short of options and Izale Mcleod has looked anonymous in the last half-dozen showings, albeit substitutions. The best is yet to come from Luke Varney and, whilst I think Dickson needs to be given a chance after his current loan spell finishes, we have to be prepared to accept that he might need time to adjust to the Championship. For these reasons, I would like us to go for a striker who is currently scoring and who may offer us something should we get promoted.

I can't see anyone I'd want from the Premier League coming to the Valley at the moment. Therefore, it might be a good idea to go for someone currently performing in the Championship who we could expect to step up and who's acquisition might unsettle or weaken a rival club. After all, it's been done to us with dramatic effect in the past. I've always rated James Beattie, although I'm not sure Sheffield United would sell. Counago at Ipswich looks a tidy midfeilder and even Michael Mifsud could be worth a punt?

In the meantime I am in the Scottish Highlands enjoying some late autumn sunshine whilst steeling myself for the drama tomorrow. The whole country seems absorbed with the Italy game. Talk of it is everywhere and expectation is high. Glasgow will be bouncing tomorrow afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....