Friday 9 November 2007

Weekend Championship Preview

First, thanks to all of those Curbs fans who commented on my last post about Alan Pardew. I am impressed that so many of you took the time to comment because it says a lot for the usually silent majority who know what a good job Curbs did for us. I ought to make it very clear that I have always been pro-Curbs, although his last three seasons were very disappointing for me. The point I was trying to make was that, for me at least, Alan Pardew is proving to be an even better manager. Early days I know, but I think the differences are there and visible.

Tomorrow we take on the Bluebirds and their 1,000 travelling fans for their first visit to Valley for 20 years. I usually avoid betting on Charlton but am so confident of a victory that I am making an exception this weekend. I have them in a 5 result accumulator with Stoke City to beat Sheffield United, Ipswich Town to see off Bristol City, Watford to beat Colchester and Portsmouth to beat Man City. Combined odds of 20-1 - get on it! As for the rest of the Championship, this is how I see them going....

Blackpool v Scunthorpe

Blackpool are unbeaten at home but have only won one and drawn 5. Scuthorpe have only been beaten twice on the road, so I am going for another home draw.

Prediction; 1-1

Charlton Athletic v Cardiff City

No slip-up this time. Charlton to win with an assured home performance. Maybe we'll get a decent referring performance and/or a slice of good fortune to set us on our way.

Prediction; 3-1

Crystal Palace v QPR

London derby. Palace yet to win in 5 under Warnock and QPR battling for improvement and their new gaffer..

Prediction; 1-1

Hull City v Preston NE

Prestin yet to win away this season - can't see them doing it at Hull either.

Prediction; 1-0

Leicester City v Burnley

Steve Cotterill's departure at Burnley this week leaves them in poor shape to go to Leicester who are trying to get some momentum themsleves.

Prediction; 2-0

Plymouth Argyle v Norwich City

Glenn Roeder will haul Norwich out of the drop-zone but it might take some time. Plymouth will be looking to get back into a play-off spot and I think they'll be too strong at home for Norwich.

Prediction; 2-1

Sheffield Wednesday v Southampton
Wednesday haven't drawn at home and Southampton haven't drawn away. It's all-or-nothing for these boys tomorrow and I'm plumping for nothing for the Saints.

Prediction; 3-2

Watford v Colchester United

I suppose this is a bit of a derby match in some ways. Colchester have been nicking results here and there but I think Watford will be too strong at home. You wouldn't want to be the next opponents after their 3-0 humiliation by the Baggies.

Prediction; 3-0

Wolverhampton v Barnsley

Mick McCarthy will be meeting old friends tomorrow. Barnsley might have enough about them for a point.

Prediction; 1-1

Stoke City v Sheffield United

Stoke are becoming as unpredictable as Sheffiled Wednesday. United on the other hand are looking very predictable. james Beattie to head them a goal but it might not be enough.

Prediction; 2-1

Coventry v West Bromwich Albion

Monday night fare. Another derby albeit from different sides of Brum. Coventry will be up for this and it will be interesting to see how much West Brom miss Kevin Phillips. A Coventry will will help see us go second!

Prediction; 1-0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....